The Jane Schaffer Writing Program aligns with Common Core State Standards and Texas Essential Knowledge and Skills (TEKS)
In order to access the hyperlink data to the Common Core Standards website, please download this document HERE.
The Formula Issue
Click Here for download.
Jane Schaffer’s Non-negotiables
- All students can think, and all students can write.
- Formula/structure is a place to start for students who need it; some don’t need it at all. We want students to leave the formula behind when they are ready to do so. Breaking the formula is called weaving – – mixing fact and opinion/concrete detail and commentary.
- Consistency of program outweighs individual teacher preference. Everyone abides by majority votes.
- Common terminology for the paragraph and essay helps students learn.
- Writing is a process that includes the prompt, prewriting, T-charts, webbing pages, graphic organizers/shaping sheets, drafting, revisions, and rubrics. All of these steps are required.