Argumentation Training for SBAC
Included in This Training:
- 6.0 hours of instruction;
- Differentiation: 1) for struggling writers, special education students, and English language learners, the JSWP approach instills a sense of confidence and understanding of process; 2) when differentiating for advanced students, weaving of concrete details (CDs) and commentary (CMs) leads to a more sophisticated final draft;
- Teacher's guide;
- Unbound graphic organizers for easy copying;
- Zipper bag with set of pens for color-coding; and
- CEU certificate.
In this one-day workshop, teachers learn the Jane Schaffer Writing Program methodology and how that methodology applies to the Argumentation process. Strategies include how to 1) obtain the facts of an issue and evaluate them; 2) acknowledge both sides of an issue; 3) create a debatable thesis; anad 4) provide logic in an organized and rational manner. Includes information about ACT.
CCSS: Write arguments to support claims with clear reasons and relevant evidence.
- Common terminology and definitions
- The parts of an academic body paragraph pertaining to argumentation
- Color-coding, ratios, chunking for argumentation
- Model: The process of writing an effective body paragraph (evidence/examples, thesis, assertions, analysis, transitions, editing, revising)
- Various layouts for argumentation, including ACT
- Counterarguments, concessions, refutation
- Collaborative writing: Going through the process together
- Introduction, Conclusion
- Research and AP®
(The above agenda is intended to provide prospective participants with an overview of the topics covered throughout the day. Pacing of topics may vary.)